Happy New Year, new and old Pizza Freaks!
In honor of the New Year, New You movement (sort of), we've got brand new PIZZAS unlike any we've ever made before. They're bold, they're avant-garde, they're kinda-sorta healthy, but most of all: they're GREEN!
Welcome to our first Pizza Challenge of 2019: The Greenest Pizza Challenge. Who can create the GREENEST pizza of all and of all time?!
Rules of the Challenge:
- make a pizza that's green in color, as green as pizza-ly possible.
- NO food dye allowed—keep the pigments au naturale.
- use somewhat cleaner ingredients and fewer processed ingredients (i.e. make your own sauce instead of using a pre-made jar).
- it needs to be obviously delicious.
and YOU, our fellow pizza freaks, will decide the winner!
Whose pizza is greenest? Whose do you predict is the tastiest? Who impressed you the most with their savvy pizza making? Check out the Green Pizza Challenge on our YouTube channel and CAST YOUR VOTE in the poll on the video!
If you've already cast your vote, or if you just came here looking for the greenest pizza recipes (and why wouldn't you?), we've shared both of those bad boys below for ya.
Cool-as-a-Broccoli-Crust Pesto Goat Cheese Pizza
Alyssia's Greenest Pizza:
- GREEN CRUST: broccoli-based, made from scratch, with spirulina for natural green coloring, and it actually held together perfectly. ("Bonus points for no grains or gluten?" You decide.)
- GREEN SAUCE: a creamy, luscious, minty-green blend of avocado and coconut milk, with spinach for greenness and nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor.
- GREEN CHEESE: soft, scoopable goat cheese, mixed with pesto, parsley, and more avocado for green-ification.
- GREEN TOPPINGS: cool & curly cucumber ribbons (sliced with a mandolin, sans kevlar safety glove because: reckless), crunchy snap peas & pumpkin seeds, chopped green onion, and of course more avocado.
Broccoli Pizza Crust:
- 1 small head of broccoli, riced (about 2-3 cups broccoli rice)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- ¼ tsp spirulina
*Thanks to Gimme Delicious for inspiring this broccoli pizza crust recipe!
- drizzle of oil
- 5 green onions, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed & chopped
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup spinach leaves
- 3 Tbsp parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 4 oz goat cheese (log, not crumbles)
- 1 Tbsp pesto
- ½ avocado
- 3 Tbsp parsley
- pinch of salt
- cucumber ribbons
- snap peas
- avocado slices
- pumpkin seeds
- chopped green onion
To make broccoli pizza crust:
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Process the broccoli in a food processor or shred with a cheese grater until the broccoli is the same consistency as rice. (Or use pre-made broccoli rice if preferred.)
- Place broccoli in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 1-2 minutes, until tender.
- Cool for at least one minute, then pour steamed broccoli rice on a clean towel or dishcloth and squeeze out as much liquid as you can, until you are left with a dry ball of broccoli.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, eggs, cheeses, seasonings, and spirulina with a spoon until fully combined.
- Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet and shape into a pizza crust, about ½-inch thick.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To make green sauce:
- Sauté garlic and green onion in oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bring to a boil, and turn heat down to a simmer for 20 minutes. Don’t let it overflow.
- Allow to cool slightly, then add to blender with avocado, nutritional yeast, spinach, and parsley. Blend until smooth, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
To make green cheese:
- Add goat cheese to a food processor with pesto, avocado, parsley, and salt.
- Pulse a few times to combine. (Don’t blend until smooth—you want it a bit chunky!)
To make green cheese:
- Spread green sauce in a thin layer onto cooled broccoli crust.
- Add green toppings and dollops of green goat cheese mixture.
- Slice, serve cold, and enjoy!
Yields 1 of the greenest pizzas you ever will eat.
Creamy, Spicy, Cheesy, Pretty-Darn-Green Pizza
Christian's Greenest Pizza:
- (GREEN) CRUST: a tasty, doughy, classic pizza crust that tastes like a pizza crust. Made with spinach-soaked green water, but didn't turn out so green after all.
- GREEN SAUCE: garlicky cream-cheese based sauce, green-ified courtesy of some avocado and spinach.
- GREEN CHEESE: a classic MOOzarella blended with spirulina to make green cheese (that looked like blue cheese).
- GREEN TOPPINGS: a green gambit of bell pepper, zucchini, pickled jalapeños, and avocado slices. And yes, avocado tastes great on a hot pizza.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup spinach
*WARNING: making this green water won't actually turn your dough any greener.
(Green) Pizza Dough:
- ¾ cup warm spinach water
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp avocado oil
*Thanks to Sugar Dish Me for this crazy-good 10-minute pizza dough recipe!
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup spinach
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ - 1 cup mozzarella cheese, blended with ½ tsp spirulina powder
- green bell pepper, chopped
- zucchini, chopped
- pickled jalapeño slices
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Boil 1 cup water with 1 cup spinach for 5-10 minutes, until water is nice and green. Throw away the spinach and let the water cool a bit.
- Pour the warm green water in a large bowl. Add the yeast and let it sit for about 5 minutes, until it’s looking a little foamy.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, and oil. Stir to combine.
- Flour a clean work surface and dump the dough onto it. Knead the dough for about 4 minutes, incorporating any dry bits that weren’t mixed in the bowl. Now is when you realize the green water is pointless.
- Place the dough back in the bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Put the bowl on top of the stove (the heat from the oven will make the dough more pliable) and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Make sauce. Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Separately, blend mozzarella cheese with spirulina and set aside.
- Remove dough from covered bowl and place on a lightly-floured surface. Knead and carefully stretch dough into a circle—either using a rolling pin or your hands.
- Transfer shaped crust to a lined pizza pan, cover with sauce, and add your toppings (except for avocado).
- Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 10-12 minutes.
- Add avocado slices.
- Slice and EAT THE PIZZA.
Yields 1 kinda green and pretty tasty pizza.